Sometimes we get reminded of how important perspective is. A few examples lately:
MJ is SO excited to “vote” tomorrow at school. Many (including me) take this for granted or see it as a chore or burden. My eight year old is looking forward to it, she did her “research” and knows who she is voting for and prepared to defend it! Many fought for this right for all of us and we should all see it that way! No matter your political preference or level of HAD IT with this election, I hope everyone has voted or will vote tomorrow!
I take MJ to school 99% of the time. I won’t lie and say that I don’t take it for granted. I am blessed to have the ability to do that. I have since she was in K-5. I took Christian to school for the most part until he was able to drive. This is something that some Moms would love to do. This morning, Mike was so happy to be able to drive MJ to school. He’s playing in a golf tournament today and made sure he planned his morning to have the time for his baby girl. It warms my heart mostly but it also reminds me that what one person might grumble about or not look forward to, another longs for. What one person sees as a responsibility, another sees as a JOY.
I guess it’s fitting that I am realizing this now…in this season of THANKSGIVING. Basically, I am hoping this reminds me to not take things for granted, to choose JOY and to be thankful for the blessings that the Lord has given me. Maybe someone else could use a reminder too. 🙂
No, not starting a business…not closing a business or minding my business….just I’m BUSY!
Moving, Disney, kids, summer, work, etc etc etc have kept me from stopping and trying to remember any of it…that makes me sad. However it makes me MADcrazyHAPPY that I have been too busy to notice. Lately the only thing I even WRITE is my prayer list (which seems to get longer by the day – sadly) so sitting down to type is unthinkable one some days!
Moving has definitely been the time suck of the year! Hmm, I guess technically “moving” itself wasn’t the time consuming activity….that was over in a day. Filling a house has been the thing….buying new things, repurposing old ones, shopping for bargains, creating new memories in a new space. It’s been EXHAUSTING…but most of all…it’s been FUN!!! It’s one of those things that makes it so apparent to me that crazy times bring out the MOST of what you have the most of. If you have love and fun and happiness, you will get more of THAT. My sweet husband has been so awesome throughout this transitional phase of having a new space to live in…..he’s dealt with my shopping habits, my chevron obsessions and my need to decorate every nook and cranny with some form of turquoise, aqua or gray! My kids have totally enjoyed finding their own new things and old things alike and have been such troopers about keeping things clean and organized. My Mom has been….an angel! She has loved shopping for me and crafting and lending a hand or elbow or whatever was needed. My niece helped unpack like a madwoman and it was a great time to have my entire family…inlaws, parents, niece and her boyfriend, sissy and her hubby and my baby niece….my kids…our friend Zoe…it was just awesome. I have had more visitors in a month than I believe I had at my former house in the seven years we lived there! It’s just fun getting opinions on decor and organization sometimes, right? ((OH AND THERE IS THAT POOL PROJECT THAT I HAVE NIGHTMARES ABOUT!!! SO MANY DECISIONS…….EEEEEK.)
Getting the kids ready for back to school…fun times. My kids will all be at the same school and I’m thrilled about that. MJ is starting K5 and I can’t even believe it. The speed at which time has flown is amazing. I’d like to say I’m dealing with my baby going to school very well but I’m not a liar. She’s so ready and I want to show her how excited I am for her and I do…and then I fall apart alone!! WHEW! It will be all fine and well next Friday after it’s been a day and we’ve had “that” day and she did fine and was happy and didn’t hold onto my leg for dear life. (Dear God, please don’t let that happen. Amen.) The boys are kinda “meh” about school starting back….but that’s to be expected at 12 and 15. Happy for them to get in there and get it going though!
Mike’s promotion + school = CRAZY! Many nights when we first moved in (he had finals then), I didn’t see him after dinner because I couldn’t stay up until he got in bed! Work has been busy for him as well….he hasn’t even played much golf lately!
TO BE CONTINUED…………I can’t even stay awake!!!
Mike won a gift from the Marriott in downtown Raleigh while playing in a golf tourney last year. That’s what we are up to. We planned out this night to take advantage of a free night here…
Very cool view…ice skating rink on Fayetteville. We are on the 17th floor! We had dinner at 42nd street and it was delish as always.
My heart though, is with my Sanford family and friends. We lost a great man this afternoon in Mike Moody. He was a special man and fought a disease that all too often wins. I feel for his family…for my Daddy, his buddy…I just can’t imagine the feelings they are all experiencing tonight. If you’re reading this, whatever brought you here, would you please pray for them?
I’m off now to enjoy the rest of this night with my hubby. I’m so appreciative of this time together. Being married to my best friend for the last 6.5 years has been one of my largest blessings. Night!!
I’m not ashamed to admit that my almost 5 year old sleeps with my husband and I. Every night. I.Love.It. She’s my last “baby” and we have a king size bed. We also have a healthy relationship, parents that babysit and two grown boys that hardly even want to SIT with us. I am sure that because this August, she starts school and has to have more of a routine, we will begin to transition her to her bed. But for now, and for the last almost five years, it’s been a blessing to me. My 14 year old used to be my buddy but is “too cool” for me now…so this has been nice. I’m sure things will change and one day she’ll too think I’m not cool enough to hang with. I’m just enjoying this piece of her life right now and the place she’s at.
Even if it means a foot in my back every now and then.
I am so excited about the next three weekends. I can’t even contain myself!!
This weekend, I venture a short ride away and meet up with Victoria – a long time friend – for shopping, gabbing, catching up, eating…I cannot wait. LONG overdue and very much anticipated!!!
Next weekend, I venture to downtown Raleigh with my sweetheart to just getaway for the night. Getting dressed up and going to a nice dinner and spending the night in a nice downtown hotel. So excited to have some time for just US!
Weekend after that – VERY exciting…taking MJ, my mom, and my niece to Atlanta’s American Girl store for some shopping and fun! We are staying in a Marriott that does it up right – with doll beds for the AG dolls, milk and cookie amenities…it will be some great fun!!
I have some work in the middle of these weekends but I am so ready for them all – I love having things to look forward to!!!
Of course when I was in school…progress reports were not my favorite thing. Once I
discovered boys started high school I sure didn’t like those two words together. I never thought I’d yearn for a checkup of how I’m doing! However, as an adult who works full time in a fast paced role, I look forward to performance reviews to be able to have that check-in with my boss (a busy, Global Vice President). I need to hear the good, bad and ugly of how I’m doing so I can act on it. As a Manager, I welcome the opportunity to do the same. I take it seriously. I’m probably one of the few people who really enjoys it!!
Well..as a married woman who love love loves her hubby so much…like SO much..I often wish I had a template of a marriage progress report to measure my performance. To feel like I know what I’m doing right and wrong and in between.
I’m going to create one. I want to. I might. I should add that to my bucket list. Mike and I have our own detailed conversations about this and daily I truly do attempt to do something that translates the WORDS I love you into an action…but life is busy and chaotic and sometimes you just want to be sure that’s the message you’re conveying! Somewhere between the “Honey, can you pick up supper?” and the “I have no idea where your socks are. I don’t wear them!”, you just want to know that the love is shining through!
Hmm. More on this later. Need to wash some socks.
So, I did this earlier with my great-grandmother’s picture…and I thought it was time again. Chose THIS GUY…since it was just his birthday and I had this awesome picture of him!
That man right there is my Daddy. He’s a great husband to my Mom, a wonderful Daddy to us girls, and a fabulous Papa to all the grandkids. This pic was taken at his birthday party just a couple of weeks ago. It makes me think of a few things:
- to get my Daddy to smile straight on in a pic – IMPOSSIBLE
- his laugh, which is contagious
- his love of San Felipe where he orders “pollo VANDITO” every time, no matter how many times I correct him (fundido)
- our Sonic dates when I was a teenager…every Friday night
- his height…six feet six inches..he has always been the “jolly green giant” to me
- him taking me to my first race in 1989…getting vomited on and leaving early! LOL
- Darrell Waltrip
- that stache. (Victor Newman? LOL Weekend at Bernie’s??)
- I remember hanging out with him when my mom worked in retail and we would order pizza, those were some of my favorite nights!
- That time we sat on the floor together to watch Miami Vice and he ended up with knee surgery (womp womp wompppp)
- I also remember the gut-wrenching feeling of disappointing him (too many times)…and the hurt look in his eyes…thinking there was NO way he could feel as bad as I did (as a parent know, I know that’s not the case)
- If you know my Dad, you know he watches commercials. All of them. And he likes to talk about them. And I secretly sometimes watch the funny ones so we can talk about them. 🙂
- Seeing him and Christian build things when Christian was about 3 or so….melting my heart.
I am so blessed with a Daddy. Not a “father’ or a “dad”, but a DADDY. He’s always been there for me and still is. As a teen, when I thought I’d done that THING that would make him not love me anymore..it was when he surprised me and was more present than ever. In my adult life now, I am so very thankful for my childhood relationship with him and even more for the grown up relationship too. I truly believe I married someone that’s somewhat like him – and that makes me so very proud.
When my husband goes to the grocery store (which he does, almost every time this family GETS groceries), besides when it’s Lowes Foods To Go – I mean him going and doing the shopping, he
usually always picks up something extra. I often joke with him that I’d be much better off going because it would save us a good $60 each TRIP! He’s a brand name snob. He will NOT buy generic medicine (not even pain reliever…but it’s mostly due to his pharma knowledge so it makes sense). I’m funny about my ketchup and mac and cheese but other than that, bring on the store brand! Not the mister. However, there are a few things that he purchases that don’t bother me a bit. I don’t ask for these things or even remind him…but when he gets home I’m almost excited to see what he’s remembered that I love. The last time he went, I found these things in addition to the “list”….
Caramello bars are my most FAVORITE candy bar from WAY back. Talenti is a new but serious favorite frozen treat. I love that he remembers these things and knows that they are such small ways to show me he cares. To surprise me and show me his love. I do the same for him if I go to La Dolce Vita for lunch…I usually order his fave dessert to go. If I am in Tramway on a Saturday, I might go to Tobacco Road to see if there is a new shirt he’d love. Showing your spouse you love them in a small way can really make a BIG difference. I certainly know he’s always thinking about US…and he knows the same.
And, now, I have to run. Caramel and keyboards don’t mix. 😉
So, I’ve been a bad, bad girl. I haven’t been on FB to post every day what I’m thankful for! <Gasp!> (Before you think I’m talking about YOU, I did it last year and I didn’t hate it….so I’m not judging.)
But, we all know by now, I’m a list girl. I’m thankful for lists. That’s all! Good night, thanks!
- My personal relationship with my Lord and Saviour. (If you don’t have that, please talk to me!)
- My sweet, considerate, funny hubby. Our relationship is crazy strong and we are just getting started! (Six years…)
- My kids…all three of them are so different but such great combinations of personality, wit and charm. (And sarcasm.)
- My family, every single member of it. Both sides. All sides. Especially the relationship with my Mom. Always there for me. Always willing to listen. Also, the relationship between myself and my step-wife (my step-son’s Mom if you are not in the know) is such a blessing. No drama, just working together for the good of our families that are intertwined. Makes perfect sense, huh? 🙂
- Our home. Though we are trying to sell it…it has provided shelter from storms, cold (hmm), heat and rain…we’ve welcomed a new life into this home together and had many moments of cheer and sadness as well.
- My job and it’s blessings..coworkers…my team..my boss..my friends made and kept there…
- Yoga pants
- Short hair (don’t care)
- Talenti gelato
- My wonderful family physician…Phillip takes such good care of us ALL!
- A clean house and the fabulous lady who makes that possible!! (Love my cleaning angel!)
- That all my kids are potty trained!!!
- Social media. It’s been a lifeline at times for me. Might sound sad..but it’s true.
- Lifetime movies
- Nordstrom personal stylists. Sometimes when I put on one of the outfits she put together for me I’m still shocked that I’ve gone outside the box on some things.
- Hallmark Channel
- Dasani water
- Bojangles. Just yes.
- Thyroid medicine. Makes such a difference.
- Excel. Pivot tables. V look ups.
- Fantasy Football – gives me a reason to watch and spend time with my boys and hubby
- Blogging. A healthy outlet for me.